CARL A. RUDISILL LIBRARY
|Carl A. Rudisill was born in Lincoln County, North Carolina, the son of the late Poly C. and Lavina Rudisill. When he was a young boy, the family moved to Cherryville. At that time there were three cotton mills in the town. Carl's first job in about 1896 was as a doffer boy in the Cherryville Manufacturing Company at a wage of ten cents a day. Carl worked in practically all the various processes of yarn manufacturing. He realized the necessity of adequate training in a given field so he obtained his higher education at Lenoir College in Hickory, N.C., and North Carolina State College in Raleigh, N.C.|
His knowledge of textiles and his managerial ability are attested to by the responsible positions he held in the textile industry.
The original structure of the Carl A. Rudisill Library was erected in 1942. The donors of the building were Mr. and Mrs. Carl A. Rudisill, their daughter and son-in-law, Mrs. Margaret Rudisill Borland and Thomas W. Borland, and their son and daughter-in-law, Ben Richard Rudisill and Mrs. Dorothy Butler Rudisill.
The original structure provided a depository for the twenty-two thousand volumes which had been stored in the administration building. The facility provided space for student study, periodical storage, and library administration.
The Library Mission Statement indicates: "the Carl A. Rudisill Library strives to support the overall mission of Lenoir-Rhyne College by providing the information resources needed by the members of the College community for the successful pursuit of the academic programs. Where possible, it also supports non- academic programs by providing library resources and services."
In 1967 an addition to the Carl A. Rudisill Library was dedicated. The new section of the Library is a memorial to Ben Richard Rudisill and Dorothy Butler Rudisill who were killed suddenly in an airplane crash on March 3, 1959. Ben Richard Rudisill was the son of Carl A. Rudisill and was President and Treasurer of Carlton Yarn Mills at the time of his death. He served several years as a member of the Board of Trustees of Lenoir-Rhyne College. The major gift for the Library Addition was made by the Carl A. Rudisill Foundation.